We've established a book club for writers who have their pens poised, ready to spill a well of ink for every pool of blood and tears, to try to read and write about the human side of the crises—with all the nuances—in the Middle East.
Here's a list of what we will be reading over the rest of the summer:
1) "Gate of the Sun" by Elias Khoury
2) "Her Body Knows" by David Grossman
3) "Beirut Blues" by Hanan al-Shahk
4) "The Panther in the Basement" by Amos Oz
5) "Operation Shylock" by Philip Roth
6) "A House at the Edge of Tears" by Venus Knoury-Ghata
7) "Kiffe Kiffe Tomorrow" by Faiza Guene
We will also be reading the poetry of James Fenton, Mahmoud Darwish, Naomi Shihab Nye, Agi Mishol, Yehuda Amichia, and others.
If you want to join in, contribute, or discuss any of these, please write to Rebecca's e-mail address: winebowl at gmail dot com.